As a foodie, exploring new cuisines and uncovering hidden gems in the culinary world is always an exciting adventure. And what better way to do so than in Sri Lanka, an island that’s home to some of the most delicious and diverse flavors! From spicy curries to fresh seafood and sweet treats, this country has it all. So get ready to go on a gastronomic journey with us as we reveal the best eateries in Sri Lanka – guaranteed to satisfy your cravings and leave you wanting more!
If you’re a foodie, then you know that no trip is complete without trying the local cuisine. Sri Lanka is known for its abundance of fresh seafood, spices, and cooked meats. But with so many options, it can be hard to know where to start. That’s why we’ve put together a foodie’s guide to the best eateries on the island.
From traditional curries to street food snacks, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. And with restaurants ranging from hole-in-the-wall joints to 5-star resorts, you can find whatever level of dining experience you’re looking for. So whether you’re a casual traveler or a serious foodie, make sure to check out these Sri Lankan restaurants during your next visit.
Traditional Sri Lankan Dishes to Try
When thinking of traditional Sri Lankan dishes, there are a few that come to mind. Firstly, Sri Lanka is renowned for its coconut sambol – a fresh dish made from grated coconut, dried chili flakes, lime juice, and red onions. This dish is often served alongside rice and curry as it provides a lovely refresher in between mouthfuls of the more intense flavors. Secondly, you cannot leave Sri Lanka without trying polos (wild Game Curry), prepared using an aromatic mix of spices and sometimes slow-cooked for hours to develop a deep flavor.
For those who enjoy fish, look out for ambul thiyal – a dry fish curry which gets its unique flavor from tamarind pulp and garlic cloves. Try kottu rotti – chopped roti pieces stir-fried with vegetables and your choice of meat or eggs. This dish is commonly found at street food stalls and is the perfect on-the-go meal.
Best Seafood Spots on the Island
When it comes to fresh seafood, Sri Lanka definitely doesn’t disappoint. There are plenty of great spots around the island where you can enjoy some delicious seafood dishes. Here are just a few of the best:
• The Island Seafood Restaurant in Colombo – This place is known for its fantastic fish curry and crab fried rice.
• Fish Paradise in Negombo – If you’re looking for some truly fresh seafood, this is the place to go. They have a huge selection of fish and seafood, all caught daily.
• Dewata Beach Seafood in Unawatuna – This beachfront restaurant has amazing views and even better seafood. The grilled fish is definitely a must-try.
So, if you’re craving some delicious seafood while in Sri Lanka, be sure to check out one of these great spots!
Local Street Food Hotspots (Where to Find the Best Short Eats)
If you’re looking for a delicious and affordable meal, street food is the way to go! Sri Lanka is home to some of the best street food in the world, and there are plenty of local hotspots where you can find it. Here are some of the best places to enjoy Sri Lankan street food:
1. Galle Face Green: This oceanside promenade is one of Colombo’s most popular spots for street food. You’ll find everything from grilled seafood to curries and roti. Make sure to try the famous Isso Vadei – a type of deep-fried prawn cake that’s a local specialty.
2. Pettah Market: This busy market in central Colombo is packed with stalls selling all kinds of goods, including plenty of delicious street food. From fresh fruits and vegetables to savory snacks like samosas and vada, you’ll find it all here. Be sure to bargain with the vendors for the best prices!
3. Kirinda Beach: Located on Sri Lanka’s south coast, Kirinda beach is a great spot for fresh seafood dishes. There are several open-air restaurants along the beach serving up delicious seafood curries, grilled fish, and more. Be sure to try the kottu – a popular dish made with chopped roti, vegetables, and spices.
Cooking Classes & Food Tours in Sri Lanka
There’s no better way to experience a new culture than through its food. And in Sri Lanka, there are plenty of opportunities to do just that. From cooking classes and food tours, to street markets and traditional eateries, here’s a guide to uncovering the best foodie experiences on the island.
Cooking Classes & Food Tours: For a hands-on experience, there are few things better than taking a cooking class or going on a food tour. You’ll not only get to learn about Sri Lankan cuisine and cook some delicious dishes, but you’ll also get to meet local people and taste some authentic flavors.
Street Markets: Sri Lanka is full of colorful street markets, where you can find everything from fresh produce to spices and snacks. It’s the perfect place to wander and take in the sights and smells of Sri Lankan cuisine. And if you’re feeling brave, why not try haggling for a bargain?
Traditional Eateries: To really get a taste of Sri Lankan food, head to one of the traditional eateries dotted around the island. These hole-in-the-wall places may not look like much from the outside, but they serve up some of the most delicious food you’ll ever eat. Be prepared for spice though – Sri Lankan cuisine is known for being fierce!
Sri Lanka offers a huge variety of culinary experiences for foodies of all kinds. From traditional dishes to modernized takes on classic favorites, from the latest street foods to elegant fine dining establishments, you can be sure that every meal in this incredibly diverse country will be an adventure. Whether you are taking a trip down south or staying in Colombo, make sure you don’t miss out on some of the amazing food that this wonderful island has to offer!